The land on which the Presidential Mansion
was built was, until the final decades of the nineteenth century,
outside city limits. The eastern limit of the town was the Royal
Palace. Beyond that, there were fields and small farms. The only
buildings appearing on the maps of the period were the manor of
the Duchess Plakentias (known as "Ilissia" and today housing the
Byzantine Museum) and the Petraki Monastery, both built in country
areas far from the centre of town. The limited significance
of the area at the time may be seen by the fact that a girl's orphanage
(which no longer exists) was built there in 1854. Furthermore, the
land along Kifissias Avenue (today called Vassilis Sophias) also
remained unbuilt and was earmarked by the state for the construction
of ministry buildings.
early 1870 the State allowed the sale of land to private individuals
which led to the construction of mansions to house the wealthy families
of Athens. Around 1890, the architect Ernst
Ziller was entrusted with the construction of the Crown Prince's
Palace. This palace later became the residence of the Royal Family
and is now used as the Presidential Mansion.
Today, with the city of
Athens extending over many square miles, the Presidential Mansion
is located right at the centre of the capital next to the National
Gardens and Parliament.
|Entrance to the
Presidential Mansion on Herod Atticus Road
||View of the Presidential
Herod Atticus Road, where
the Mansion is located, is not only one of the most beautiful roads
in the city, it is also bound up with the political and social life
of Greece, since also situated there is the mansion where the Prime
Minister of the day has his office.
The Presidential Mansion with its garden takes up a total area of
about 27,000 square metres (about 7 acres). The official entrance
to the Mansion is on Herod Atticus Road.