Legislative Decree 684
(Gov. Gaz. 123, issue A, dated 7 May 1948)
Order of Beneficence (Order for Good Deeds) was established in 1948,
following the death of King George II, in accordance with his wishes.
For two years, from 1973-1975, the Order was abolished, but was
re-established by the law 106/1975.
The insignia of the Order of Beneficence is awarded only to women,
Greek and foreign, for exceptional services rendered to Greece,
for charitable acts and for outstanding achievements in the arts
The insignia is flower-shaped, with five blue enamel petals with
long narrow sepals of green enamel between them. In the centre of
the flower there is a picture of the Virgin Mary holding the Infant
Jesus in her arms. This picture is surrounded by a white enamel
band upon which the word "BENEFICENCE" is inscribed in
gold letters. The reverse side bears the emblem of the Hellenic
Republic, encircled by the inscription "HELLENIC REPUBLIC".
The stars of the Grand Cross and of the Grand Commander have eight
radiating points and the obverse side of both bears a picture of
the Virgin Mary. The ribbon which accompanies the insignia is yellow
with a blue border on both edges.
Like the other Orders, the Order of Beneficence consists of five
classes: the Grand Cross, the Grand Commander, the Commander, the
Gold and Silver Cross.