When Ernst Ziller, the German architect, was assigned the building
of the Crown Prince's Palace, it was on condition that the building
would neither be majestic nor modelled on other European Palaces.
The building was to harmonize with the homes of the wealthy Greeks
of that time and be representative of the ruling social class of
the country. It appears that these guide-lines were laid down by
The result is a three-storey neo-classical building with a plain
symmetrical facade. The main part of the building is flanked by
two wings which protrude slightly. On the second floor there is
a row of double windows with spaces between them carved with heraldic
symbols, representations of the four seasons, the letters K and
Ó (for the Greek spelling of Constantine and Sophia) as well as
characters from Greek mythology. At the top of the building Ziller
had statues placed. All sides of the building are unpretentious.
The only protrusion is the porch with its ionic columns at the main
entrance on Herod Atticus Road.
|1909 Extension (today the Credntials'
When designing the facade and the floor plan of the Crown Princes'
Palace, Ziller was influenced by the work of his friend and fellow-architect,
|South view of the
The modifications which have been made
to the building from the time of its construction up to the present
day are not especially significant. One exception to this is the
addition in 1909 of a ballroom (now the Credentials' Lounge) and
the extension added to the rear wing (now the Reception Hall) at
the beginning of the 1960's.
The floor plan presents some changes in relation to the original
plans of the mansion which is only natural since the building is
already a century old. The most important of these are the addition
of a second staircase at the rear of the building, which allows
communication between the floors without using the central staircase
and the installation of a lift. The most significant exterior change
is the creation of a second large marble staircase during the Presidency
of Constantinos Tsatsos, which connects the building with the garden.